Valiocon is a conference for designers and makers in San Diego CA.
Designers come together to share stories about what motivates them to do great work, bits of inspiration, or insights they have gained from their past. 2016 was the fifth conference, and happens to be my first. I’d place Valiocon at the perfect center point between a small fun—based conference, and a large scale industry corporate fest. In all the best ways!
So—Cal casual, yet informative and actionable. Everyone is approachable, kind, and excited about design. I feel like the crowd skews towards product designers working in Tech, but there were some incredible illustrators, artists, video producers, musicians, and print designers as well. You can tell the passion of most was centered around design and community. Very welcoming. Very approachable. Very inspiring. Follow a bunch of the speakers and attendees on my Valiocon2016 twitter list.
A good conference changes you.
How I've Changed
- Use Evernote to plan projects
- Start the day with Headspace
- Do simple daily Dribbble shots
- Learn more of Xcode
I took notes during every talk and I’d like to share some of my favorite take aways here.
- Luisa Mancera
- As our skills grow, so does our expectations. Less is better. Define a clearer picture of how to spend your time.
- Jeremy Goldberg
- Use framing as an instrument to better communicate ideas.
- Facebook M
- Giovanni Donelli
- Create a bicycle for your mind. Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working – PIcasso. Embrace the luck you find.
- Ben Cline
- Projects are stepping stones. Be open to opportunities. Be vulnerable, not every project will ship.
- Ash Huang
- I don’t wait to be chosen. Like design, writing needs constraints. Experience transfers domains.
- Alex Cornell
- Reach out to people who inspire you. Avoid wasting time on routine. All my projects start with Evernote.
- Facebook Live
- Corinne Alexandra
- Be a beginner. Make shit nobody cares about. Don’t stop learning.
- Greyson MacAlpine
- Make pain purposeful. Run towards the challenge. Life rewards courage even when that first step is taken neck-deep in fear.
- Jesse Genet
- People on the bleeding edge live in the future. The best solution is the right price too. Why NOT you?
- Sarah Pease
- Document. When the power goes out, what are you going to do? I’m going to dominate. Anything is DIY if you know what you are doing.
- Zac Keeler
- Get close to your customers. Find good partnerships.
- Alex Medina
- Limits are not limitations. Options can be enslaving. Always explore, always create. Use your hands. Whatever your limitations are, they shouldn’t stop you.
- Make music
Overall Valiocon was a tremendous experience for me. I met lots of fantastic people and a ton of inspiration.